Saturday, March 20, 2010

20th March 2010 – A Series of Unfortunate Events...

Some of my loyal blog followers have asked me, why have I not updated anything for more than a month now despite the many events and runs that have happened in between?

Well, here are some answers…

Right after Chinese New Year, there has been a series of unfortunate events that has happened. Though I will not dwell into the events that have transpired, it did cause me to miss one of my few important scheduled Marathons which was suppose to be part of my overall training plan leading up to my first 84km Ultra Marathon.

This is the second time I’ve ever missed a race since I’d started my running career in April 2009. The first being the 12km Malakoff race in December 2009. I recall clearly the reason for missing the Malakoff race last December was because I was foolish enough to think I would be able to do a hike a day before up to Gunung Nuang and still be physically in-tact to run the tough 12km course the following day. Boy, was I proven wrong!

It did slap me back into reality, and it made me realize that I have a long way to go before being able to achieve optimum fitness.

I recall telling myself that I will never miss a race again, but somehow, a higher power once again wants to prove that life isn’t in my control. Now, I’ve missed the Inaugural Koh Samui International Marathon which was originally scheduled for Feb 28th. It was something that I had spent a fair amount of time preparing for, I recall the countless runs in the afternoon heat that I’d done to acclimate myself for the hot race in Samui but this time round; it wasn’t an act of stupidity or heroism that cause me to miss the race.

I remember feeling thoroughly disappointed, having to cancel my hotel booking, flight tickets and etc. In the process, I lost some money as well; being forfeited of the advance payments for some of the travel arrangements. A depressing event, topped up by another depressing event…

Finding a Silver Lining

I remember myself giving advice to friends and loved ones in the past about making the best out of an awful situation. This is what I would usually tell them in dire situations…

“If it’s raining outside, no amount of tears that you shed will make it sunny again… you can continue shedding tears because it’s raining, or choose to smile and appreciate God’s work!”

Well, it took me a while, but I choose to smile… I reviewed the whole situation and try to find a way to make the best out of it. Since I’m feeling down, I decided to try and cheer others up!

I’d decided to support and cheer on the 2010 Ironman Malaysia participants in Langkawi!

No comments:

Post a Comment