Tuesday, January 19, 2010

18th January 2010 - New Balance Pacesetters 30k Race

It has been slightly over a month now since the last race I had participated in... the last race I ran was the Kwong Woh Century Run in Sungai Besi which I'd achieved a new PB for my 10K distance.

Ever since I decided on the right training scheduled for my Ultra Marathon Training program, I had been struggling to juggle between work, family/friends & my runs. So far, I have been quite disciplined in following the training scheduled. With a printed A4 Sized Training Scheduled pinned up on my cupboard door, I maintained my rituals of the Green and Red Highlighter. For every run I successfully complete, I will highlight the schedule with a Green Highlighter, and for ever run I had missed, a Red strike would appear. The distance has still been quite forgiving, averaging about 40 miles a week at the moment. I am still in the period of the so called "base training" where I just need to put mileage onto my legs irregardless of speed. In fact, the information provided within the training schedule has encouraged me to run 20% below my usual running speed. I had some problems adjusting to this as I felt it was uncomfortable running below my usual pace.

I am not a fast runner, and I acknowledge that. I run an average of a 6:00 minute pace for my usual runs. In races, The fastest I had gone was slightly about 5:00 minutes. I am not there yet... not yet a runner where I can compete with the better and more talented runners. Runners like Ronnie See, Daniel Tan who runs 3:00 minute plus paces are insanely fast, at least by my standards. So, off I go at my usual cruising pace.

Over the past few weeks, I'd try to do some research and reading on the internet on other Ultra Marathon distance runners and their experience. I read about this UltraMarathoner named Tom Oslen who had run approximate 2000 Ultra Marathons. There have been plenty of tips that I had made mental notes off... one of which was "If you don't want to die in an Ultra Marathon, do hill runs... do as many hill runs as possible". Yes... hill runs. Noted.

I tried to incorporate a hill run in most of my short or mid distance runs during the weekdays. My usual training spot at Taman Tun Dr. Ismail Park which consist of a running track surrounding a lake that goes about 1.2km a loop has been my best friend. Nearby, was the Kiara Hills which many would visit for a brisk walk up the hill. The more serious runners would zoom up and down like it was flat land. The last time I had really ran the hill was the first time I had met Daniel Tan and his running buddy YS Lee. It was like an induction for me to be qualified to run with them but of course, they were kind and forgiving and slowed down tremendously to ensure I could keep up. Any other day and I wouldn't even see the dust trail that they would leave behind as by the time I'd reached, the dust would have settled on the tarmac. Most days, whenever I run the hills, it is usually made up of a combination of walk and runs. Usually, more walks than runs as I can barely reach the peak of the "this way to better health" sign that is neatly spray painted on the tarmac. A complete loop of this hill from gate to gate of the TTDI Park would be approximately 5.6km I think.

I recall, there was one fine day while doing a short run (8km) where I ran up the Kiara Hill and it was one of the first times running alone that I didn't have to stop. I managed to run (ok.. ok.. it was more like super slow jog) up the hill without slowing down to a walk and I felt quite happy that I made an improvement. This was until I was suddenly overtaken by this guy so quickly it felt like I was standing still. Gosh! What a let down... I kept going while telling myself the Standard Chartered Marathon motto "Run your own race". By the time I had reached back to the gate where I had started, this guy who was tall, 6 footer, super good shape and form, was already cooling down while chatting with some friends. It was then I had overheard that he was an IronMan... OOooO.. (I did think about completing my first IronMan before I reach 30, hopefully before the world ends in 2012). OK. I didn't feel as bad anymore... he is after all an IronMan right?

So, back to the NB Pacesetters 30K race.

The night before, I couldn't really sleep. It was after all my first long distance race after more than a month. My own personal target was to complete the race within 3 hours 30 minutes. I had signed up for the race without knowing what was the qualifying time. So I logged on to the Pacesetters official website and checked. It says:-

Men Open 30KM Qualifying Time 3 hours 30 minutes.

I had never participated in a 30k race before so I really do not know if the qualifying time of 3 hours 30 minutes was considered demanding or not. It then struck me, and I was curious to look back at how I did in the Penang International Bridge Marathon at my 30KM Split. To my surprise, in PBIM I actually manage to complete 30KM in 3 hours 8 minutes. So, I was contemplating if I should set a higher expectation for myself this time or to stick with the original 3:30 target? Well, after some angel / devil debate... I stuck with 3:30 because I told myself that I’m not here to set a record but this is meant to be part of the training that will lead towards my Ultra. As I lay on the bed, I tossed and turned. I couldn’t really sleep so I tried chatting with my wife, who completely ignored me (She is also running 10KM in the same race) until about 1 AM before I could finally fall asleep. I couldn't sleep too well because I was afraid if I slept too soundly, I wouldn't be able to wake up at 4.00am to get ready for the race. I told my wife the night before, that we need to leave the house latest by 4.30am so that I can make it for my race which starts at 5.30am.

Rachael: "I don't feel well... I don't want to run la today...:

The alarm rang, I jumped up (as I hardly slept) and woke Rachael and with her usual grunt of "I don't feel well.. I don't want to run la today..." she eventually got up too. We got ready, my standard ritual and gears packed, my tracks and jacket, heart rate monitors and my secret weapons which i'd acquired the day before all lock and loaded. So, what is my secret weapon? I'd first test ran the Phiten Neckless and Bracelet plus the Phiten Stickers during the PBIM 2009. I didn't get any cramps and I was impressed. To date, I’m not sure if it's mental but so far it has been working... so why fix a ritual that is not broken right? This time round, I had purchase a pack of the Phiten Stickers and added a new weapon. I'd purchase the Phiten Aqua Titanium Sole which I’d carefully and skillfully inserted into my Nike Zoom+ Limitless as a replacement to the original sole. I only use the “extras” during races as I didn’t want my body to get use to the luxury of all the add-ons.

Had a quick breakfast, tried eating the PowerBar Triple Treat as it was apparently suppose to give you a longer lasting energy. I then had some water to down it as we got into our car and started our journey. It was still dark and the traffic was clear except for some early risers or those that had just came back from a long night of partying.

We had reached the venue at about 5am, found a decent safe parking and off we went to the race venue. Stripped down to my running attire and stuffed my jacket and tracks into my bag and checked it into the secretariat. I must say, at this point – it was very well organized. I bid Rachael good bye and off I went to check in for the race at the starting point. The crowd didn’t seem to big, but it was large enough to give you a feeling that it was an event.

While waiting for the gun, I did some last minute stretching and turned on my GPS. I had silently prayed that I won’t crash today and hoped that I would manage to complete it within the qualifying time. Bang! The race began, and I went at my usual running pace. It wasn’t a fast pace but I was my usual race pace. The cool morning air felt good and it was still reasonably dark when the race started. 30 Kilometers, it is not a short distance. I have learned to respect any distance I ran and I do not look down at any distance.

As I started running, I did a mental body check. Heart Rate, OK! Legs, OK! Breathing, OK! All systems Go! I had changed my refueling strategy. This time round, to ensure that I have sufficient energy to go all the way, I’d experimented on the PowerGel consumption. I planned to have 4 Power Gel at the following distance markers:

1 – Before Race Starts

1 – 8 KM

1 – 16 KM

1 – 22 KM

This has actually proved to be quite effective for me as I was able to hold my pace and I didn’t crash throughout the race. Kenny Hills, Tijuana Hills, Double Hills, hills, hills and more hills… there was a total of about 7 hills that we were suppose to conquer throughout the 30km race. It wasn’t an easy race. I didn’t even know that the 30K race was all about hills! We ran and ran and eventually reached Plaza Damas in Sri Hartamas. I met Frank along the way; he was having a bad day. I ran with him for a little while as I could see that he wasn’t doing all too well today. Frank, is a super runner. He is a very consistent and fast runner so for me to be able to catch up with him meant that something must have been wrong.

I was right; he was running with an injury. During the interstate ride in December, he fell from his bike and landed awkwardly on his knee. Couple of the other runners who knew about it ran past him and told him he shouldn’t be running but he kept going. I admire his determination. I paced slightly faster as it was an uphill stretch, during uphill, unlike other runners who usually slows down I usually try to push upwards. I’ve been stronger uphill and I took this as training as well. It was a good feeling as I ran past other runners during uphill stretches. It gave a mental boost in motivation.

Along the way, my stomach didn’t feel too good; I contemplated along the race several times on whether I should stop for a toilet break, a big one. Each time I had an opportunity at a 24 hour mamak or a petrol station, I kept looking at my watch and by the time I decided I had already past the opportunity. I held back and told myself, I think I should be able to hold on till I get back. Each time I felt like my stomach was acting up, I quicken my pace hoping to get back faster… perhaps this was why I had a pretty decent timing. After making the loop at Plaza Damas, I looked on the opposite side of the road and I saw many people running on the other side of the street. I told myself “wow… these people are really fast! They are already making their way back!” I wasn’t very familiar with the place, but it was only after I had passed Taylors College again that I realized I was in fact the one which was faster! They have yet to make the loop! This gave me great motivation… J

I pushed on back towards the Tijuana Hills, it was a tough stretch. Had my last packed of Power Gel as planned and told myself to just keep going. I managed to catch up with my sifu, YS Lee but after a short distance I just couldn't keep up with him and went back running at my own pace. There was several stretches where I slowed down to a walk, but fortunately I managed to regain my momentum and kept running shortly after. We were back to Jalan Parlimen and were making our final turn back to Padang Merbok. I needed all the motivation I can get me to the end. I turn on my iPod and selected Red Hot Chili Pepper’s song titled Under The Bridge and sang along loud. This actually attracted some attention from other runners but I didn’t care. I ran a little faster and sang a little louder… hehe! Final 1 KM, I quicken my pace and finished the race strongly. It felt wonderful… being able to finish the race strong. I surprised myself by completing my first 30K race in 2 hours 50 minutes and 33 seconds. My sifu YS Lee, finished several minutes before I did.

Thinking back, I think the stomach ache must have played a factor in making me go faster…

No comments:

Post a Comment